How To Work At Home With Young Children
I’ve written a few simple rules to help you deal with the reality of working at home with young children. Your day may not go exactly like this, but at times it will probably come pretty close.
1. Start your day by telling the kids you are going to be working. Make sure you have enough time for last-minute demands, such as the urgent need to play “just one” game of Chutes and Ladders.
2. Remind kids of when they can disturb you while you work. “No, wanting a cookie is not an emergency.” “Yes, you can tell me if the cat is on fire.”
3. Remind husband of when he can disturb you while you work. “No, that’s not an emergency either. Give me a back rub after I’m done working and we’ll talk.”
4. Chase cat out of home office.
5. Clean up dishes from around computer. Take to kitchen and remind everyone they are supposed to eat in the kitchen, not the office.
6. Get cat out of office chair and put outside.
7. Get toddler out of office chair and send to Daddy. Close office door.
8. Hear toddler pounding on office door. Find teddy bear tucked behind computer and give to toddler.
9. Start working.